Are you looking for a healthy breakfast or snack recipe for your picky eaters? Are you trying to sneak some veggies into your family? I’ve got your back with this easy and healthy Zucchini Bread recipe.
Simple to make and even more delicious to eat, this moist Zucchini Bread is perfectly fresh and tasty. The main ingredients are fresh zucchini, whole wheat flour, honey, almond milk, and walnut (optional).
This homemade baked bread will soon become your family favorite.
Why is Zucchini Bread good for you?
It really depends on your recipe. If you make the traditional Zucchini Bread by using all-purpose flour and refined sugar, it’s not the most nutritious version you can eat.
To make this Zucchini Bread healthier for my family, I used some substitute ingredients that will bring more nutrients but still can keep perfectly moist and full of tasty flavor.
My recipe is full of wholesome ingredients such as whole wheat flour, honey, almond milk, walnuts, and plenty of freshly grated zucchini.
How to Choose the Best Zucchini
To choose zucchini, you must remember that the smaller sized zucchini, the better taste. When they are picked young, you get that perfect mildly sweet flavor. At the grocery store, try to look for six to eight inches in length, and dark green and smooth skin.
How do you make Zucchini Bread from scratch?
(*Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!)
- Combine all the dry ingredients and set to one side.
- Beat together the honey, coconut oil, almond milk, egg, and vanilla.
- Stir in the zucchini.
- Mix in the dry ingredients.
- Pour the batter into a loaf pan.
- Bake for 50 minutes and enjoy!
Watch How To Make Zucchini Bread
SUBSCRIBE to my YouTube Channel to watch my NEW Healthy Recipes Videos every week.
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my Newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Do you need to peel the zucchini?
You should leave the skin on when preparing zucchini. Zucchini is rich in several vitamins, minerals, and other beneficial plant compounds. Cooked zucchini is particularly high in vitamin A, though raw zucchini contains slightly less.
Eating the skin is how your family will get all those wonderful vitamins and nutrients. When the zucchini is cooked, the skin softens, making it easy for your kids to digest.
Read more about 12 Health and Nutrition Benefits of Zucchini here.
Do you squeeze water out of zucchini for bread?
I recommend that you don’t squeeze the zucchini once you have grated it. It helps your loaf get more moisture.
Storing& Freezing Tips
This Zucchini Walnut Bread will keep well at room temperature for around 3 days and up to a week in the fridge. Keep it in an airtight container or wrapped up to keep the moisture in.
You can also freeze it. This bread will keep well frozen for up to 3 months. Wrap the loaf in plastic wrap or foil and place it in a freezer bag. Thaw the loaf at room temperature to enjoy.
More Healthy Recipes for Your Healthy Family
- Healthy Mummy Brownies with Avocado
- Crispy Teriyaki Tofu
- Chicken Satay with Peanut Dipping Sauce
- Lemongrass Beef Skewers
- LOW-FAT DIET? You can certainly swap out the oil for some applesauce
- VEGAN DIET? Use maple syrup instead of honey, replace the egg with some chia eggs and Choose non-dairy milk like almond milk or water
- DAIRY-FREE? Choose non-dairy milk like almond milk or water and replace the egg with some chia eggs
- EGG-FREE? Replace the egg with some chia eggs
- GLUTEN-FREE? You can use coconut flour instead of whole wheat flour. If you don’t like coconut flour, Bob’s Red Mill’s all-purpose gluten-free mix worked well here.
- NUT-FREE? Don’t use nut milk. You can add some raisins or chocolate chips to get more flavor instead of walnuts. Don’t use almond milk, you can use oat milk, dairy milk, or just water.
Healthy Zucchini Walnut Bread
- 1½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ⅓ cup melted refined coconut oil
- 1 big-sized egg
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ cup shredded zucchini (1 large or 2 small zucchini)
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F (or 180°C)
- Grease a 9-inch loaf pan with coconut oil, butter or cooking spray.
- Grate zucchini on the small holes of a box grater. Set aside.
- DRY INGREDIENTS: In a medium bowl, combine whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- WET INGREDIENTS: In a large bowl, combine egg, melted refined coconut oil, honey, unsweetened almond milk, and vanilla extract. Whisk together and then add the grated zucchini. Mix well.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet and stir until everything is just combined and you have a nice thick batter.
- Add chopped walnuts to the batter and mix until evenly distributed.
- Transfer batter into the prepared loaf pan and top with extra walnuts (if desired!).
- Bake for 30 minutes or until set through and a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool on a wire rack.
- Cut, serve, and enjoy!
Watch How to do it
- Leave the skin on when preparing zucchini to get all its wonderful vitamins and nutrients
- Don’t squeeze the zucchini once you have grated it, it helps your loaf get all that moisture.
- Storage: Keep well around 3 days at room temperature, up to a week in the fridge, and 3 months frozen.
Want to save this for later? Pin 1 of 2 images below!
GET YOUR FREEBIES HERE!
(WEEKLY MEAL PLANNER & GROCERY LIST PRINTABLE TEMPLATES)
Plus MY latest recipes and videos are delivered right to YOUR inbox.
Never miss a thing!
Leave a Reply